Cyanotype Workshop at the Betty Brinn Children's Museum


I never really thought of myself as a teacher. Sure, my Dad is a professor at a local college, and my Mom taught for many years, and my Oma was an english teacher for many years, and my Opa was a woodcarving tea.... oh. 


I guess maybe I can be a teacher. A few months ago I ran a cyanotype workshop with Yvette for the winner of a Betty Brinn Gala auction item. The winner of the auction won a three hour workshop taught by myself for her and up to ten friends. This was the biggest class I have ever taught, but it definately helped that the class was old enough to really appreciate this alternative process.


The first thing I showed the group was how to mix up some chemistry. I called for a volunteer and they measured out the two parts on a mini scale and poured the solution into water. Then the two mixtures get poured in equal parts into another container and then painted onto the paper/fabric.


Yvette helped me setup some of my samples beforehand to really get the classes gears turning.


Above is our fearless volunteer that was willing to mix the chemistry without even asking what she was mixing beforehand. For this process there is one chemical that poses a minimal health risk. That chemical is Potassium Ferricyanide. Can you guess why it might be dangerous? Anything with cyanide in it you need to be careful, but from everything that I have researched the only risk is if the potassium ferricyanide comes into contact with a strong acid. The acid will strip the cyanide from the iron, but as long as we keep strong acids away from this chemical it should be safe.


As soon as everyone understood the process we split up and started working.






























Above you can see just some of the photos that the girls completed in the class.



All of the ladies had a great time and were able to take home some one-of-a-kind art.

Stay tuned!

Comments