Steel Shoe 3 hour Endurance Race


Lately I have been quite the 'Home-body.' I have been so busy with work and life that I am usually at work or sleeping, but this weekend was different. This weekend I made it a point to go out and do something that I really wanted to do. 



On Sunday January 20th, the annual Steel shoe fund 3 hour endurance race happened at the Tiki Beach Resort located right on the coast of the Kettle Moraine Lake. The race is setup like a TT course and was HUGE. As far as the eye can see there were motorcycles going left and right all around the frozen lake.


Unlike the other races that I have witnessed, all the riders/teams were equipped with transponders that would track how many laps they could achieve in 3 hours. Riders could hit the pits in between laps, fuel up, switch riders and get back out there to get those laps.


All bikes were equipped with AMA approved fenders, screws and kill switch. Although dirt bikes were clearly the favorite choice, I did see at least one Harley representing.





Racers had to avoid the occasional truck and trailer helping a stranded racer get back to the pits to refuel and the occasional plow that was constantly grooming the track. Ice tires create a lot of fresh powder. The plows job is to clear the soft stuff and ensure that the racers have good traction,


Although this race was much slower than the flat track style oval track, it was common to see racers battling it out for a better position. 









I can't even imagine how the riders were feeling after riding for so long in the single digit temperatures. It really made me reconsider my riding gear for when I can get out on the ice.


As I walked back to the car I couldn't help but think about the motorcycle film classic, On any Sunday. The film follows multiple racers preparing and racing on, you guessed it 'On any Sunday.' And it just made me think how important Sundays are for these people. Sunday is race day.


Next up is the High Voltage Races next weekend at Wilson Park. 
Stay tuned!

Comments