Cracked Gas tank and Ice Tires


I went into work one weekend to put in some time on the Bultaco. Everything was going great until it wasn't. I was at a work bench across the shop and i heard a loud crash behind me. I turned around to find the Bultaco had fallen off the plastic bucket that I had it resting on. I picked it up as quickly as I could only to discover that the fall had created a HUGE crack in the fiberglass gas tank.

SHOOT!


I quickly got the front rim on after making some fancy clamps because the axle on the Pursang is actually smaller than it is on the Alpina. 


I went to connect the front brake and discovered that the brake stay is in a different configuration on the Alpina than on the Pursang.


Here is the bucket that crumpled under the weight of the Alpina...


And finally the Pursang rear axle is a different diameter again, which is causing me problems.


But those studs look so pretty. Oh and did I mention yet that the 4.00 -18 tire is wider than my non studded 4.00-18 tire so the studs are hitting the swing arm.


I guess what I am trying to say with all my rambling, just because you have two similar bikes, made by the same manufacturer, never assume that it will be a one for one fit. Although everything that happened, the cracked gas tank, the tires that don't fit quite right, the different axle sizes. Don't give up because there is always a way to make things work. 

Stay tuned!

Hopefully you will see me out on the ice at least once this year!




Comments