Painting the Ducati Monza Tank


I have been trying to keep myself busy lately, so busy that I have been neglecting to post what I have been working on. I lost the tank for my Ducati Monza project, and one of my friends let me have this Honda tank to use until I figure out exactly what direction I will go for the build. 


I am kicking myself for not taking photos of the tank before hand, but take my word for it that the tank looked pretty rough and had a large dent in the top when I got it. To get the dent out, I heated up some hot glue and then stuck a wooden dowel in the glue, let cool, and then pulled up in a quick forceful fashion. It took multiple tries, but over time the dent got smaller and smaller until it was just about gone. The last little bit I will admit I used some high strength Bondo to further blend out the damaged area. 

I painted the tank at work one day when my coworker and I were painting a new exhibit. I used a HVLP gun with Duplicolor Primer, Championship white, and Gloss Clear coat. Although my paint job is not quite perfect, I have noticed that it is considerably better than the first time I painted a gas tank. One of the problems with the first time I painted a tank I was using a 2.5 gallon pancake compressor which is WAY, WAY, WAY to small for the volume and pressure that you need to properly atomize the paint. It really pays to have the proper equipment when it comes to painting. 

I am always trying to find excuses to push what I am capable of at work by taking on projects that aren't typically what we do on the job. Next time I want to experiment with casting so keep checking back to see what happens next. 

Stay tuned!

Comments