Tradeshow Displays


For those that wonder what I do for a living with all of these crazy and different projects that you see posted on my Facebook and Instagram, I am a designer and fabricator. And I can now add trade show display design to my ever growing list of skills. Although I cannot speak about who the client was for this project, what I can talk about is the design and challenges that I needed to overcome to complete this project. 

This display is designed to mimic a real life machine used by professionals. The real life machine is constructed from aluminum, steel, and circuits; this version is built with plywood, laminate, and steel. Although my part was not to do the assembly and lamination, I was tasked with taking a clients 3d model which was NOT optimized for fabrication whatsoever, and dissect and study every curve and line in order to build the same looking structure with laminated sections of plywood. I am probably oversimplifying the whole process, but I needed to include dowel pins that would allow the builder to assemble the display without any questions asked and sections should overlap and "key together" in order to make the display strong.


When all is said and done, trade show design was very exciting for me and let me flex some different design skills that I don't get to use working for a childrens museum. For instance, we hardly ever use laminate at the children's museum because of the risk of damage. Another thing we try to avoid at the museum is any sharp corners. Because this project was never meant to be handled and climbed on by small children I didn't really have to think about rounding over all corners.

Stay tuned!

Comments