Ducati Monza Hub Repairs


I spent a little time the other night trying to save my Ducati Monza wheels. The hubs were seized shut when I got the bike, but I eventually got them apart but found that the rust had eaten through most of the brake lining.


I talked to some friend son facebook about standard practices for fixing this issue and they told me I could try and turn down the brake lining but to be careful of how I center the hub. If the hub gets mounted unbalanced I could give myself a bad brake pulsation during stopping, but I figured what did I have to lose at this point the rust isn't getting any better, and if I could clean them up and save them i could possibly reuse these hubs and just find some nice rims.


So I set out and got to work. I used a boring bar and centered my work using a live center. I started cutting but quickly realized that the pitting was deeper than I had imagined.


Sometimes you just need to know when to step away from something and I think I am at that point on these hubs. The pitting is much deeper than I hoped on the brake lining, by the time I am able to get them completely smooth there really won't be much of anything left. I don't know what the story on this Ducati Monza was before I got it, but sometimes I imagine that this bike must have either been outside its whole life, or it was dredged up from the bottom of a lake someplace because everything was locked up.

Stay Tuned!

Comments