Leaf Print Cyanotypes

When Yvette and I were out walking the dogs one day we stumbled upon some nearly transparent leaves that were in the grass. I am not sure on the species of tree these came from, but they were so delicate, almost like lace. The only material that was left was the veins of the leaves. I thought they would make beautiful cyanotype prints so we grabbed a handful and continued on our walk.


Below you can see my exploration with these leaves and the compositions possible with these found objects. For those of you that are not familiar with the process, cyanotypes are a photographic process that can be done outside of the darkroom which makes it great for younger learners as well as photographers on a budget.
You might be saying to yourself that this process looks very similar to blueprints, and you are absolutely right! Same chemical reaction. I like to tell people that anything that creates a shadow can be used for cyanotypes.


Comments