The Wild Thing, Bultaco Pursang/Astro



Let me introduce you to my latest bike, this Bultaco Astro/Pursang (m68 engine in a m90 frame). This past weekend was my first time actually getting it out on the trails and I was very cautious because it is a fresh rebuilt motor(courtesy of Moto Scoot) and I painted the tank and number plates, and completely assembled the rest of the frame. It takes time to build up trust between you and a machine you assemble, your mind can't help but wander to did I tighten that nut or bolt to the proper torque spec, is the motor going to explode on me, or any other catastrophes. 


I am pleased to say that the worst thing that happened was I ran out of gas in a field separated from the group, so I had to push the bike back to the group through thick tall grass, but other than that everything went great!


I built this bike to try and get involved in Midwest Vintage Motocross and flat track this summer, but my skills off road are still progressing so I passed off my bike to August Zeratsky, a more seasoned flat tracker to really push the bike and shake it down to make sure everything was good.


The bike really has some get up and go. It has the unmistakable two stroke sound and smell. You can't really miss when it is open wide open because that exhaust is so loud!


This bike comes complete with the dual sparking head and compression release valve. Flat track bikes do not have a front brake, and (most) Bultacos have the shifter on the right and the rear brake on the left. This makes it very difficult to operate the rear brake when you are banked hard into a corner, so August operates the compression release valve to slow into the corner.


Stay tuned! More adventures on this sweet bike later!


Comments