Koi and Goldfish go back into the pond


For those of you that don't know, I am obsessed with fish. My obsession with aquariums started when my Dad brought a tank home from work and i had everything from mollies, guppies, loaches, plecos, Jack Dempsey, and more.  My Dad and I have been in the hobby for years. Our main focus now is the outdoor pond where we have over 35 fish! Of those 35 include several goldfish, comets, and butterfly/normal koi.


Every year we bring the fish inside for the winter, and put them back out in the summer. This year I had the bright idea of trying to individually photograph some of the fish. This proved to be a disaster as I was so paranoid of stressing the fish out, and the photo tub kept getting mucked up with fish poop and algae.


Another reason why I decided to take these photos was because I hope to one day carve some of these fish in wood. I have never really been into the trophy fish carving, but painting the ornate colors and patterns of koi fish seems really beautiful to me. Also the gracefulness of the fins gives these still photos so much movement.


See what I mean about the poop and algae? Yuck!

After the photos weren't turning out quite like how I wanted I decided to move upstairs to the pond to try and catch some of the larger fish being released.


Above is a capture of one of the larger koi being released into the outdoor pond. I love this photo, even though that you are hardly able to make out anything, because the sheen and texture of the koi is just so interesting.


At the end of the day, all the koi successfully made it into the larger outdoor pond. I look forward to catching them again to see how much they grow in a few more weeks! I will be sure to post updates!

Stay tuned!

Comments