Bultaco Astro/Pursang Flat Track Practice


I went out to my friend Chris's farm with Yvette on Saturday to practice flat track and mx with our bikes. I brought the Bultaco Alpina and Bultaco Astro/Pursang while Yvette brought her KS125.
The truth is I am trying to build up some confidence and trust with this machine if I ever want to get on a real track for a sanctioned event. 


The first few laps I was playing it pretty safe and getting used to the power band and controls. Both of these Bultacos have the controls flipped, so the shifter is on the right and the brake pedal is on the left. It makes it pretty difficult to brake going into a corner when seconds later you need to move your left leg from the pedal to the ground to help you balance through the corner. 


This Bultaco Astro/Pursang has a trick compression release lever as well that I can use to brake into the corners. As the day went on and I got faster and faster, and thats when I started sliding the back wheel out into a drift.


These Flat track tires have great traction up until they don't, and it is unsettling when your back tire continues to want to go in a direction your front end is not going. It leaves you open to "high side"your bike which is something that I am happy to share did not happen on Saturday.


It sure makes for a exciting photograph though.


I will continue to practice and get better.

Stay tuned!



Comments

  1. John, I'm glad to see this. This reminds me of most of my high school and early college years growing up in Illinois. Dirt riding with friends is one of the best things ever. So happy for you guys to be out having fun!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment