First Flat Track Race at Beaver Cycle Club


Well I got to check something off my bucket list this weekend. I got to get out on the track and race in my FIRST flat track race. The race was held at Beaver Cycle Club and it was on a clay short track. Yvette and I met up with some friends right when the gates opened at 1:30 pm.


We unloaded bikes and then I had some time to go around and photograph the pit area and double check everything on the bike. This was the first time bringing out the Bultaco Alpina to a race so I was anxious about the condition of my machine. If I missed any cotter pins and check torque specs. It is a good thing I checked too because I was missing a cotter pin on my rear axel.


I was racing with August, Ross, Donovon, and Wade. August was in the Mad dawg and Vintage/Twin. Donovon was in the Vintage/Twin. Ross and Wade were in the Mad dawg class with August as well.


The track was shorter than Aztalan which made me feel good about all the practice that I got at Chris's farm was going to pay off. This track was heavily clay based which was quite a bit different however. The clay helps the tires grip REALLY well, or that's what everyone was telling me but I was nervous to loose control of my rear wheel like I have in the past.


At about 6 pm we finally got out to practice. I suited up with my pads and headed towards the track.


I didn't really understand what was going on at this point as there didn't seem to be any organization in the paddock area. The only organization they had for practice order was that they were going to go from big to little in quads, then motorcycles after. There was no organization to practicing with your classes or skill level. I figured I would be pretty safe going up with the other vintage guys but quickly found out that pros and big V twins were out on the track with us.


It was an eye opening experience being out there with professionals and such large displacement bikes. I have no shame letting everyone know that I was passed multiple times by all of the fast riders. We got approximately 4-5 laps and headed back to the pits.




Donovon easily passes me with his Vintage BSA. Donovon got this BSA from Morries Place, the same place that I got a lot of work on my Triumph. He modified the exhaust and even moved the brake pedal over to the right side to make this a true flat track machine. Unlike Donovon, my brake pedal is still on the left side which meant that I really needed to choose my corner speed going into the corner because there was no way for me to slow down.


My qualifying heat was round 46 so I had to wait around until the sun set to get out on the track. I had a lot of time to psych myself out, luckily I had a really good team with me that was encouraging and supportive. No one was as supportive as Yvette. I am so thankful that she was there to support me and deal with my anxiety and pre race nerves.



At about 8pm it was finally time for me to go out for my qualifying heat. I only raced with 4 other riders in the qualifying heat. I was so nervous at this point that my bike was going to die on the starting line so I kept the choke on up until I was ready to line up on the line. I looked to my right and one of the riders bikes died on the line so they were kicking and kicking to try and get it going again. With all the riders lined up and ready, the race was on. The light went green and we were off. I easily got into the number two position and chased the leader.


I don't really know what was going on behind me at this point, but I was chasing the leader and would catch him in the corners but the straight aways he would just walk away from me and I couldn't catch him. So there we were playing a game of cat and mouse for the 5 laps, I finished in 2nd of 5 riders.



The main event had a packed field of 10 riders all racing for the win. I had a good starting position as I was the number 4 position which meant I was near the outside in the first row. I don't know if I did some mind games at the starting line, but I remember the guy directly to my left looked at me for a brief second, the light turned green and he looped his bike. He let off the clutch, wasn't leaning forward enough and he threw his bike forward. I went to the outside to avoid the falling motorcycle and found myself near the back of the pack(6th-8th) going into turn one.

At the end of the night I finished in 6-8th I really don't know because I was told not to look back behind me and I promised my pit crew that I wouldn't look back. It was an absolute blast to be out on the track with all of these fast racers. I wish I would have ended higher up, but hey this was my FIRST time. I was racing modern motorcycles with a bike nearly 50 years old! My bike was easily 15 years older(possibly more) than the other bikes on the track, not to mention that most of the other racers were using professionals bikes that were finely tuned machines, and I was able to hold my own and for that reason I am incredibly proud of myself.

Keep it Vintage.

Stay tuned!
 

Comments