First MX race - Aztalan Cycle Club

Well if you haven't heard the news already, I participated in my first motorcycle race at Aztalan this past weekend. 

Racing motorcycles is something that I have always wanted to try and say that I did, but I was always too afraid and didn't really have the right equipment to participate until a friend offered up a bike to ride. When a friend offers up his motorcycle to participate, you better not say no!

I participated in the Pitbike Modified 17+ class, which had 20 people in it. The field was stacked with veteran racers who just hopped off their 250/450s and made their way back to the starting line to complete novices like myself. A few of my friends that rode with me, August, Ross, and Donovan are much more seasoned riders, but were all using probably the oldest bikes in the field so they had their work cut out for them to stick with the pack.

Gearing up for the first race of the night, I had a good start and was in the middle of the group but my lack of experience in the dirt quickly put me near the back of the pack. With motocross the

We watched a lot of the other classes before and after us like the 50cc-65cc class which can be seen above. I am amazed at how fast these little rippers are out of the gate. They were easily just as fast as all the older riders to the first corner. And they made it look effortless as if they were floating above the loose sandy muddy surface. That is something no one tells you before you try motocross that the substrate is so loose and your tires just sink into the media that you hardly even need to use your brakes because let off the gas and you start sinking. For someone who has never been out on a motocross track before I would tell them that the consistency of the dirt is like Moon Sand. It is packable, but it holds moisture and is loose like sand. When your going full out, you have to pick a line, or a grove that someone before you set or good luck trying to keep your handlebars straight as the dirt tries to push your wheel in a direction you don't want it to go.

From left to right, Donovon, Ross, John, and August all getting ready for the first race of the night. This race was a two moto format. So we actually got to go on the track 3 times. The first time we got to practice with all the pitbike classes which was insane because there was about 80 other racers on the course trying to learn the course at once. The second time we got to go on the course was the first race and I did a lot better. I finished a few riders from the rear. The third time we got on the course something went wrong at the gates and I was giving the bike gas and as soon as I take my hand off the clutch the bike dies. So I frantically kick started the bike and finished my race. Due to my bad start I pretty much finished 20th out of 20 riders.
So where do I go from here. I am admittedly self conscious of the fact that I ended up dead last and maybe 16th out of 20 on the first moto. But the simple fact is that I got out there. I set a goal for myself at the beginning of the year that I wanted to try some form of moto sport. I was so determined in fact that I applied for a D16 card, my AMA membership, and I also got my AHRMA membership (then COVID 19 happened and messed up most of the season, go figure). What that means is that I am officially licensed to participate in any D16 event, AHRMA event, or AMA sanctioned event, which means trials, road racing, and motocross. This weekend I was able to achieve what I set out to do, so for that I am very proud of myself.
There is another race this weekend at Aztalan, this time it is a flat track event and I hope that my bike is ready so fingers crossed you will see another first for me!

Stay tuned!

Comments