Rosie's Speed Shop Practice

 


Yvette and I went out to a friends private track to ride motorcycles today. I actually broke two toes the week before, so I was perfectly fine playing photographer and drone operator today. The drive is gorgeous out to the farm, its about one hour away from where I am currently living and it is the closest stop for us to practice before races.

Yvette, see above, just got a 2006 CRF100 which is a perfect sized bike to work on technique and riding position.


Ross is an amazing rider, we rode with each other at Mama Tried Flat Out Friday. He was piloting a Bultaco Astro, while I was on my Bultaco Pursang. Ross enjoys mountain biking and maybe that comfortability on two wheels lends itself to riding motorcycles, but it seems like everytime we see each other he is getting faster and faster.


August, one of the founding members of Rosie's Speed Shop, is an absolute thrill to watch slipping and sliding around the track. He has confidence with motorcycles and kindness, you can be sure when you are at the track, August will push a motorcycle at you and encourage you to get out on the track.


Karina, another founding member of Rosie's Speed Shop, has the coolest, most unique style when it comes to fashion and motorcycle decoration. Her body kit on the CRF100 that she is seen piloting above was designed 100% by Karina. 


Slipping and sliding out of the corners takes a keen sense of throttle, braking, and trust in your tires.


Wade is a staple to the group. Everyone stops and listens to hear his motorcycling stories and adventures. This man has seemingly done it all on two wheels, and if he hasn't, you better be sure that he has a plan in the works to do it on two wheels. I love his outlook on what motorcycling is. Before we left for the day, I will always remember him inviting us back out again. "No egos, respect everyone, no fighting, its just about having fun with friends and motorcycles."

That's exactly how I feel. With all the people that I ride motorcycles with, I don't care if I am anywhere close to winning the race, I do it because I like the people, I am fascinated by the engineering, building, modification of the machines, I love to see all the personal touches that make the bikes feel alive. I love to take photos and video to document all the fun we have on two wheels, and I hope with my documentation, it brings the same joy and happiness to my friends days later when they are having a bad day, or need a pick me up, they can remember all the fun we had together.

I work on Monday, I am not interested in hurting others or myself.


Ross has a good technique and can be seen pushing the bike into the ground, with his right shoulder high.


Wade is in his element with moto boots on his feet and handlebars in his hands. 


Karina is one fast cat!


She gets around the track well and makes it look easy.


Over the day, I could tell Yvette was getting more and more confident on her bike. Her lap times felt faster when she was out riding with others who she would keep up with. She has grown so much as a rider in the few years that she has been riding. Her collection of motorcycles have grown from a Kawasaki KS125, to a homebuilt mini bike, Kawasaki KLR, and finally her Honda CRF100! She has raced multiple times, most notably in the 2022 Flat out Friday at Fiserv Forum. I am so proud of all she has accomplished and cannot wait to see what new and exciting adventures await!


Remember when I said that Wade has pretty much done it all on two wheels, and if he hasn't he already has a plan to do so? Well, meet Wade's newest motorcycle adventure, the Pineapple Express racing sidecar! Wade and Mike are currently planning to ride the Pineapple Express at Road America's AHRMA Vintage Days and I cannot wait to cheer some of my friends out there on the track.

In the above photograph, August and Karina demonstrate the proper way to make it around a oval track as a pilot and monkey(sidecar passenger). 


Hold on tight Karina! 


The monkey leans as far as they can to the inside of the turn to prevent the sidecar from tipping over. Above you can almost see August shifting his weight to the inside to keep the sidecar on three wheels. 

With drone batteries dead, and everyone running out of gas both literally and metaphorically, we loaded up our bikes and said goodbye to Wade and Mike. It was an honor and pleasure to be invited out to ride with you all, and who knows, maybe next week Yvette and I will take the sidecar for a spin on the Pineapple Express, until next time.


Stay tuned!



Comments